.pdf version is available here.
Email lcatbruce at gmail.com
LIBRARY EXPERIENCEFine Arts Coordinator, 09/2013-08/2016
Saskatoon Public Library, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Managed collection development and maintenance responsibilities for art, architecture, design, and photography books.
- Performed reference and circulation duties, including in-depth reference requests, general inquiries, lost items, payments, and registration.
- Created booklists, reading guide for local art gallery, information guides, content for social media, and update webpages using Drupal.
- Communicated with other library employees and with external groups to hold programs put on by Fine Arts, such as Book Club in the Gallery, 100 Favourite Places to Read, Art in Print exhibition catalogue launch, and a public art lecture/discussion series.
- Built community connections by finding community partners and developing services and programs that met their needs.
- Explored the introduction of emerging technologies into library services.
- Supervised the Public Gallery, organizing shows and chairing curatorial committee.
- Supervised the Permanent Art Collection.
- Supervisor of department, doing duties such as scheduling, payroll submissions, problem solving, assigning duties, providing leadership, communicating between departments, training new staff, and ensuring staff stay on task.
- Served on library committees.
Saskatoon Public Library, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Collection development and maintenance of Art and Design Books, manages budget for collection area
- Collection development and maintenance of Adult DVDs and public performance rights films, manages budget for collection area
- Reference and circulation
- Supervises staff in absence of Fine Arts Coordinator
- Serves on committees
- Gallery coordinator, organizing shows that change every 4 weeks
Library, Open Polytechnic of New Zealand, Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
- Liaise with faculty, help with course revision, oversee library forums for courses.
- Provide reference services to faculty and students, responding to queries made by email, telephone and in person.
- Worked on collection management for subject areas, including selection of materials, weeding, and updating of materials.
- Worked on other special projects, such as developing a core journal list.
UBC Library Development Office, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Researched late nineteenth/early twentieth century children’s illustrators.
- Located illustrations in UBC Library Rare Books and Special Collections to be included in online database to promote UBC Library’s collections.
- Wrote descriptions for the illustrations.
Koerner Library, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Provided reference services in person, by telephone, and by email for faculty, staff, students, and the community, in Humanities and Social Science branch library.
- Taught library instruction classes to first year English 112 and ASTU 150 classes.
- Worked on collection management project.
Health Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Co-developed the framework for Performance Measurement of the Information Management Services Directorate for Health Canada.
- Analyzed records, defined metrics, established methodology for collecting data.
- Developed communication strategy and communiqués.
- Drafted an introductory guidebook to performance measurement.
Health and Human Services Library, Victoria, BC, Canada
- Organized Dewey collection and verified inventory of Dewey Collection through shelf reading and catalogue holdings.
- Assigned subject headings to materials.
- Evaluated new intranet design.
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies (SLAIS), UBC, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Worked one-on-one with undergraduates to help them get started on their term papers.
- Guided students on how to search for resources using the UBC library website, catalogue, and databases.
Master of Library and Information Studies. 2010.
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Archival Diplomatics
- Arrangement and Description of Archival Documents
- Canadian Literature and Other Materials for Children
- Classification Theory
- Collection Management
- Document and Subject Analysis
- Foundations of the Information Society and Information Organizations
- Foundations of Information Sources and Services
- Foundations of Information Technology
- Foundations of Resource Description and Access
- Instructional Role of the Information Professional
- Legal Information Sources and Services
- Literature and Other Materials for Young Adults
- Management of Information Organizations
- Metadata and Content Management Systems for Digital Collections
- Research Methods in Information Organizations
- Services for Children
- Special Libraries
- Subject-Based Information Services
- Visual Arts and Performing Arts Special Collections
- Visual Literacy for Information Professionals
Bachelor of Arts in History in Art (Honours). 2007
University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia
- Introduction to History in Art
- Introduction to Western Architecture
- The Christian Tradition in Western Art and Architecture
- Middle Eastern Civilization: Islam
- Late Antique and Early Christian History in Art
- Byzantine History in Art
- Early Medieval History in Art
- The 15th Century in Italy
- The 17th Century in Italy
- The 18th Century in Italy
- 18th Century in Northern Europe
- Emily Carr and Her Contemporaries (Pacific Northwest Coast Art)
- History of Photography
- The Genesis of Islamic Art and Architecture
- Medieval Islamic Art and Architecture
- Islam and Asia
- Islamic Art from the Mongol Conquests to the Dawn of the Modern Period
- Pre-Columbian Art
- Advanced Seminar in Islamic Art and Civilization
- Advanced Seminar in the Arts of Mughal India
- Classification and Description Standards: AACR2, DDC, Dublin Core, FRBR, LCC, LCSH, MARC, RAD
- Technical: MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), CSS, HTML, FTP, various ILS, DB/TextWorks, Drupal, Moodle, Blackboard, RefWorks, QR Codes, online chat services, screencasting, wikis, and WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Languages: French (Beginner), Spanish (Beginner)
- Professional Development Courses: Essentials of Effective Teams, Delivering Quality Service, Problem Anaylsis and Decision Making, Attendance Support Process.
Bruce, Leah. (2017, pending). “A Library Within a Library: History of Fine Arts at Saskatoon Public Library.” History of Art Libraries in Canada, Volume II.
Bruce, Leah. (2010). Ottoman Architecture. [Review of the book Ottoman Architecture]. ARLIS/NA Reviews. Retrieved 29 January 2011 from http://www.arlisna.org/pubs/reviews/2010/10/kuban.pdf
Bruce, Leah. “An Overview of Performance Measurement of Children’s Services.” YAACING: The BCLA Newsletter for Young Adults and Children’s Services (WINTER 2010): 11-16. Print.
Libraries Organizing Wikipedia Edit-a-thons as a Form of Information Activism. Saskatchewan Library Association Conference. May 2016.
Spain travel talk. Fridays at Two Presentation. Saskatoon Public Library. April 2014.
Arts to the Rescue. Saskatchewan Library Association Conference. May 2013.
Maori Art. Fridays at Two Presentation. Saskatoon Public Library. February 2013.
Islamic Art in Spain. Fridays at Two Presentation. Saskatoon Public Library. March 2012.
International Library Network Peer Mentor
September 2013 – Present
Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) Member
December 2009 – December 2015
SLA@SLAIS (Special Library Association, student chapter UBC) Member and Archivist
May 2008 – April 2010